Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bluebeards Revenge Shaving Cream Review



A couple weeks ago the folks at The Bluebeards Revenge reached out to me and asked if I wanted to review their shaving cream since they will be releasing products once again in the states some time in the near future.  I said yes of course, since I am always looking for new grooming products to try.  I received a package last week and I've used the products a few times since. 



What came in the box:  One jar of Luxury Shaving Cream and one of their Doubloon Bristle Shaving Brushes.Unfortunately, it seems as though the shaving cream leaked out a bit during shipping (you can see it in my shot of the shaving cream jar below), but aside from the bottom of the box and some excess around the outside of the lid, the damage wasn't too bad.
Doubloon Brush package.
My first impression of the shave cream was that I loved the packaging.  The reflective skull and cross bones on the shaving cream box looks cool and the cut-out skull and cross bones on the brush box was eye-catching as well.  After opening the shaving cream I noticed there isn't an overpower scent or aroma.  I used the brush with the cream when I shaved and it worked great.  The shaving cream lathered up very nicely and applied very smoothly. As I lathered it up there was a very pleasant aroma that seemed to be released as I used the brush.  As far as the actual shave, I would say as far as drag/pull factor it ranks in the top 5 shaves I have ever had.  It even provided great results after I had made 4 passes with the razor just to see if it would hold up to the extra pass even thought I was smoothly shaven after just three passes.  Once I finished washing my face off my skin was left feeling smooth and moisturized and even as I write this the next morning it still feels great.  I had ZERO razor rash after using the shaving cream and didn't need to use any type of bump down/razor rash cream.  This is a first for me even when using a brand new razor!  The price point on the cream is very reasonable as you will get 50 shaves out of one jar, so I think $16 is reasonable (rough estimate as the website is in the uk so everything is listed in pounds).
Top view of the brush.
My final thought on The Bluebeards Revenge Shaving Cream is that it is a win all around and these guys offer a great shaving cream that truly works!  I have to say, I really enjoy the packaging and I think the branding is spot on, too. I look forward to trying some of their other product some time in the future. 

Their website  http://www.bluebeards-revenge.co.uk/shop/home.php

Link for the shaving cream http://www.bluebeards-revenge.co.uk/shop/The-Bluebeards-Revenge-Luxury-Shaving-Cream-100ml.html
price -

£9.99 - USD $15.7797  

link for the brush  http://www.bluebeards-revenge.co.uk/shop/The-Bluebeards-Revenge-Doubloon-Bristle-Shaving-Brush.html
Price -

£6.99 - USD $11.0358


I found their packaging very funny!

2 comments:

  1. did you use the boar brush they sent you?

    If so, what is the knot diameter, loft, etc.

    are you still using the brush today, and if so, how long did it take to fully break-in the brush?

    Thanks,
    --james

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. It was definitely stiffer than my Art of Shaving (badger hair) brush. I personally prefer a slightly softer brush. Some of the bristles on this one felt more like stiff straw on my skin than bristles. Perhaps this wouldn't bother some, but if you're looking for a high-end shaving brush I would recommend this one in particular.

      There's a link to the brush above in my review that may have information regarding the diamater, etc. I don't have the answer to that questions, unfortunately. If after some digging you still can't find the answer to your question I recommend reaching out to the company. My dealings with them have always been pleasant so far!

      Delete

I look forward to hearing your opinions and experiences, but be warned that rude, inappropriate comments as well as those deliberately posted to push unwanted and unrelated products onto my readers will be removed.